Boxing: Ireland outpoint England in Oughterard

Updated: December 13, 2012
iaba logo

Ireland’s boxers won out over a strong England on an Oughterard BC hosted international in Galway.

CLICK HERE for the latest boxing betting from

The Schoolboy International between Ireland and England in Oughterard, Co.Galway was a night to be remembered, the Boys in Green emerging victorious 7-5 against a very talented visiting side.

The venue was Oughterard Community Centre and it was standing room only as close on six hundred people packed themselves in for a brilliant night of boxing. England took their top team to Galway with three of their European Schoolboys Team present.

Local lad Cillian Tierney got the action on the night underway with a hard fought contest with the much taller English Champion, Kieran Desmond. After three rounds of action, the Englishman had his hand raised. Young Errigal boxer, Dominic Bradley restored parity for the Irish when he saw off Sonny Ali from England in a good tactical bout.

Aaron McKenna was in next but he came out on the wrong side of a 11-10 scoreline. Although obviously disappointed, he will be happy enough to have got some action against a boxer ranked in the top eight in Europe.

Matthew Tierney was next in and being a local boxer, the crowd responded well as he won his contest with Tom Casey by 20-7. Sean Purcell was next up and he met a rugged Englishman in Joe Walder who took everything Purcell threw at him and responded with power and accuracy. After three tough rounds, Walder got the nod from the judges.

The next bout in the ring was probably the most eagerly awaited contest of the night…and it didn’t disappoint. Two European Bronze medalists faced off in Oughterard’s Kieran Molloy and England’s Freddy Young.

Before the bout, Young was very confident of beating the local hero but Molloy was not there to make up the numbers. Before the first bell, Molloy went to the centre of the ring and gave the ‘come on’ to the crowd – the place erupted…scene set! At the bell, both men met in the centre of the ring and refused to step back from the action. The punches were hard and plentiful and this was no place for the weak. Round after round, the action intensified and the noise within the venue got deafening. Molloy was in control and the big body shots in close were taking their toll on Young but he refused to wilt.

At the end of the third and final round, the crowd waited patiently until they heard a score of 14-6 in favour of their man and they nearly blew the roof of the Oughterard Community Centre such was the roar of approval.

Conor Quinn had to follow this! He did so by sizing his opponent up in the first and then stepping up the pressure and accuracy of his punches in the second. He kept the pressure on in the last round to land the cleaner shots and take the contest 8-6 against the English Champion. Eric Nash was next in for the Irish team and he faced a durable Rob Brogan.

Nash went to work early looking to build up a good lead but Brogan stood firm. As the rounds went by, Nash using his superior skill took control of the contest to win by 22-7. Matthew Davis was next in and he met Ryan Garner. This bout began in explosive fashion as Garner wanted to lay down a marker. Davis though, had his own ideas about how this contest would go and he took the bull by the horns and engaged his English opponent.

Garner seemed to be getting off the better shots in the early part of the first round but Davis finished stronger. In the second and third, Garner’s pressure boxing was yielding scores and at the end of the third, the Englishman clinched it 12-9. Colm Molloy was next in for Ireland and he was hoping to follow what his younger brother had done earlier and get the win. The action began with both men sizing each other up. Molloy then upped the tempo and caused the referee to issue a count to Brad Sharkey.

At the end of the first, Sharkey was down on points and looking uneasy. In the second, Sharkey came out like a man who was rejuvenated during the break and took the fight to Molloy. He landed some good shots and Molloy was now realising that he wouldn’t get it all his own way. However, in the third, Molloy again upped the tempo and with some big scores he again forced the referee to jump in and end the contest early leaving Molloy victorious like his brother.

Brian Kennedy was next in the ring and the big man from Daingean was intent on winning against his English opponent, Tommy Ball, from the off. He started brightly and landed the better shots and kept Ball under pressure at all times. As the rounds progressed, Kennedy seemed to be the stronger boxer and won the contest 5-3.

The final boxer in the ring for Ireland was Galwayman Marcus Otiede. He faced a very tall opponent in six foot three Daniel Dubois. The first round was quiet enough with Otiede starting stronger but Dubois coming into it as the round wore on.

In the second, Dubois gained the upper hand and took a good lead going into the final round. In the last, Otiede showed his fighting spirit to pull himself back into the contest but it was too late to change the result. Dubois took it 10-5.


36kg Cillian Tierney lost to Kieran Desmond 11-5

39kg Dominic Bradley beat Sonny Ali 17-12

44kg Aaron McKenna lost to Mark Dickinson 11-10

42kg Matthew Tierney beat Tom Casey 20-7

46kg Sean Purcell lost to Joe Walder 8-3

57kg Kieran Molloy beat Freddy Young 14-6

44kg Conor Quinn beat Sidney Driscoll 8-6

46kg Eric Nash beat Rob Brogan 22-7

56kg Matthew Davis lost to Ryan Garner 12-9

57kg Colm Molloy beat Brad Sharkey RSC3

68kg Brian Kennedy beat Tommy Ball 5-3

76kg Marcus Otiede lost to Daniel Dubois 10-5

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>