Boyle decision disappoints Flanagan

Updated: December 7, 2011

Westmeath boss Pat Flanagan has said he is very disappointed at Francis Boyle’s decision to concentrate on hurling in 2012.

Boyle has been a regular face in the Westmeath senior football team since 2006 but last week he confirmed that he would play hurling next season, as he wanted a new challenge.

The player was forced to make a tough decision after new county hurling manager Brian Hanley said that he would not select any dual players for his side. Speaking of his shock at the news, Flanagan told the Westmeath Independent:

“Firstly I’m extremely disappointed Francis Boyle has decided to commit solely to hurling. Francis has been a good servant to Westmeath football over recent years, so it’s difficult to understand why he’s chosen hurling.

“Perhaps he felt his form dipped towards the end of this year’s campaign, and he did have a difficult period with us, but I can’t say much more as Francis has consulted me about his decision to be honest.”

Other dual stars Brendan Murtagh and Paul Greville have yet to confirm their intentions for 2012 and Flanagan admits he is concerned that the pair may also opt for hurling:

“The likes of Paul Greville and Brendan Murtagh are undecided on the issue. It’s not my business to tell another manager how to operate, but I have great concerns that Westmeath doesn’t have the resources or the volume of players, to demand that players pick one or the other”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>