Joe Canning injury mars Fitzgibbon Cup win

Updated: February 21, 2012

Joe Canning suffered a dislocated collarbone in Tuesday’s quarter-final as Limerick Institute of Technology qualified for the semi-final of the 2012 Fitzgibbon Cup with an easy 1-20 to 0-8 win over GMIT in Limerick but both Limerick I.T and Galway face an anxious wait as star forward Canning

is due to see a specialist today and initial reports suggest that he is likely to be out for between four and six weeks.

The incident came some 22 minutes into the game when he was heavily tackled by Conor Forde in an incident which led to a yellow card for Forde. It did not however prevent the Galway ace from scoring a goal from the resulting free. Canning was in fine form in the opening half.

Canning continued to play his part in the Limerick IT win until midway through the second half when he had to leave the pitch. At the time of his departure he had contributed 1-8 to Limerick IT’s total.

Later on Tuesday afternoon he went to the city’s St John’s Hospital for an X -Ray on the injured collarbone.

The injury comes as a bitter blow to the 23 years old Canning who missed much of last season also through injury and made only four competitive starts for Galway.

Limerick IT next meet old adversaries Cork IT at 3.15pm on Friday March 2nd in the Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final, scheduled for the Mardyke. In addition to missing the remainder of the Fitzgibbon Cup campaign, Canning is sure to miss Galways’s Allianz National Hurling League tie against Dublin

on Sunday and most probably the games against Tipperary and Cork too.

SportsNewsIreland will bring you further news on Canning’s condition once the results of today’s specialist tests are available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>