All-Ireland senior hurling final replay: Kilkenny are too good

Updated: October 1, 2012

Following Henry Shefflin’s magnificent performance three weeks ago which played a large part in securing a draw for Kilkenny three weeks ago, this time the Cats made no mistake in dismantling Galway on a scoreline of 3-22 to 3-11.

It was a personal milestone for Shefflin, who became the first player to win nine All-Ireland medals on the field of play, and he marked a special occasion with another magnificent performance, knocking over nine points for the Cats’ cause as the Marble County secured their 34th All-Ireland title.

The game really sparked into life in the 17th minute when David Burke scores a brilliant goal, a first time flick six yards out from a long ball, immediately Kilkenny get a point back which levelled the scores at 1-02 to 0-05.

It was really breathtaking stuff as before the 19th minute had elapsed, Burke was on hand to finish off a brilliant move involving Donnellan and Hayes to level the scores to level the scores once more, 2-02 to 0-05.

Barely one minute later Richie Power crashed home a goal for the defending champions after goalkeeper Galway goalkeeper James Skehill had initially made a save. The custodian could possibility have caught the initial weak shot and it has to be wondered whether he was feeling the effects of a suspected dislocated shoulder from Friday night. Skehill was given a yellow card in the melee which followed and the Cats scored the next five points without replay as they looked set to run riot.

Kilkenny dominated from there until the short whistle but Galway scored two points before half time to stay in touch, though really Kilkenny’s lead should have been much more than four points (1-11 to 2-04) at half time.

The game was decided as a contest with three major incidents in the space of three second half minutes.

With 46 minutes played, Burke has the ball in the back of the Kilkenny net but the ref had already blown for a free, big call, Canning scores the free but that’s just one point, should have been three.

Sixty seconds later Canning then bears down on the Kilkenny goal, but he smashes his effort off the post when it seemed certain the net would bulge.

With 49 minutes played, the game was effectively decided as Galway corner forward Cyril Donnelan was red carded for swinging his hurl at the head of JJ Delaney.

Kilkenny could see the wounded animal in front of them and they proceeded to reel off 2-05 over the next 12 minutes with just one point in reply and the game was well and truly decided by the time substitute Glynn smashed home Galway’s third goal of the game with four minutes left to play.

Kilkenny: Herrity; Murphy, Delaney, Tyrell; Walsh, Hogan, Joyce; Fennelly, Hogan; Buckley, Power, Larkin (C); Reid, Walsh, Shefflin.

Galway: Skehill; Coen, Hynes, Moore; Donoghue, Tony Og Regan, Collins; Tannian, Smith, David Burke, Niall Burke, Donnellan; Hayes, Canning, James Regan.

William Hill Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>