Former Cavan star Seanie Johnston has said that he may leave his club side in order to pursue his inter-county career with Kildare.
Johnston was informed by Cavan boss Val Andrews that he has no place on the county panel for the coming season.
The player, who captained Cavan Gaels in 2011, lost his case for a transfer with the GAA’s Central Appeals Committee last week but is still hopeful of moving south.
“I’m surplus to requirements in Cavan. That much was clear from the 10-second conversation I had with the manager last October,” he told the Irish Independent.
“I still feel I have a lot to contribute at inter-county level. You only have a short time at this level and I’d like to make it count,” he added.
Johnston, 27, works in Cavan town but lives in Straffan, Co Kildare, and is understood to have been in contact with Lilywhites boss Kieran McGeeney regarding a possible switch.
Johnston wrote to Croke Park requesting a transfer but it was refused. He has spoken to Cavan Gaels about a challenge with the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) but it is thought unlikely that the club would support such a move. Any such appeal would have to be sought before this Thursday.
He added: “Any move to the DRA is a matter for the club now…I want to continue playing inter-county football, but I don’t want to leave my club.”
If he is forced to make the choice between club and county it is expected that Johnston may decide to leave Cavan Gaels.