Khan and Peterson set for rematch

Updated: February 10, 2012

Click for the betting on Vitali Klitschko vs Dereck Chisora and claim your free bets

Amir Khan has gained a rematch with Lamont Peterson in Las Vegas in May.

The fight gives Khan the chance to regain the WBA light welterweight title he lost in controversial circumstances.

Khan announced the May 19 fight on Twitter on Thursday, backed by his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions.

Peterson beat Khan on points to lift the WBA and IBF titles in Washington on Dec. 10, but Khan complained about being deducted two points, the judges’ scoring overall, and the ringside presence of IBF volunteer Mustafa Ameen, who was seen on video distracting judges and leaning across WBA supervisor Michael Welsh during the fight.

The WBA ordered a rematch last month. Khan withdrew from an IBF appeal hearing.

Khan tweeted: “Big announcement. KHAN. Vs PETERSON May 19th, Mandalay Bay Hotel Vegas. At last I git the fight I deserve, Big …”

Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer told Sky Sports he was confident the Las Vegas commission would make sure security was tight and everything was neutral for both fighters.

“The first fight was a terrific fight, an all-action fight, a lot of controversy, a lot of questions surrounding it so this one here is hopefully going to clear up all these question marks,” Schaefer said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>