Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead

Updated: February 15, 2012

Bernie Ecclestone has said the Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead despite recent violence in the island kingdom.

Click for the betting on the Formula One season and claim your free bets

Violence forced the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix to be cancelled and protesters took to the streets again on Tuesday for the one-year anniversary of the ‘Day of Rage’.

Police used rubber bullets, tear gas and stun grenades to subdue the demonstrators and stop them from reclaiming Pearl Roundabout.

The Bahrain Centre for Human Rights have since called for the race to be cancelled, but Ecclestone has said the Grand Prix will go ahead unless the Bahrain government advises otherwise.

Talking to the Guardian, Ecclestone said: “I expected there was going to be a big uprising today, with the anniversary. But I think what happened, apparently, was that here were a lot of kids having a go at the police. I don’t think it’s anything serious at all.”

“It doesn’t change our position in any shape or form. If the people in Bahrain [the government] say, ‘Look Bernie, it wouldn’t be good for you to come over here,’ then I would think again. That is what they said last year.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>