Gambhir taunts Australia ahead of 4th test

Updated: January 22, 2012

ADELAIDE, Australia (AP) — India’s Gautam Gambhir has criticized Australia’s batsmen ahead of the fourth test starting in Adelaide on Tuesday, saying the current hosts will struggle on the spin-friendly pitches of the subcontinent when they next tour.

The Indian opener also accused Australia of tailoring pitches to suit its young pace attack for the three tests so far in the series.

Australia holds an unbeatable 3-0 lead ahead of the fourth and final test of the series in Adelaide after a dominant performance in the third test in Perth which saw Australia win by an innings and 37 runs inside three days.

Despite India attempting to stop a horrible run of seven away test defeats, including a 4-0 series loss to England in 2011 — Gambhir chose to fire an early shot at Australia’s batting lineup that conditions will be far different when they tour India in 2013.

“We’re beginning to realize that when we go overseas, every country prepares wickets according to their own strengths,” Gambhir said. “We need to prepare according to our advantage as well. There should not be a lot of talk when Australia, South Africa and England come home that we should not be preparing turners.”

“So once these people come to India, I think that we should not be hesitant in making turners. That’s when we will get to know whether they’re mentally strong. The kind of chitchat they do when we go overseas and talk about our techniques, that’s when they will be tested and see how good they are against spin bowling.”

Gambhir also played down Sachin Tendulkar’s ongoing quest to score his 100th international century has served as a distraction for the Indian team this tour.

“When you are playing for your country you don’t think about individual records or what one individual has to do,” Gambhir said.

“Zero-three is far more hurting than Sachin not scoring his hundred. If we can make it three-one, even if Sachin doesn’t score a hundred, it’s far more satisfying.”

Earlier Sunday, Mike Hussey responded to claims he was considering retirement, saying he intends to be available for Australia’s tour of the West Indies in March and the Twenty20 World Cup in September.

Hussey said his main focus is on helping Australia secure a 4-0 whitewash of the No.2-ranked Indians.

“I’m looking forward to this test match.” Hussey said on Sunday. “I haven’t looked beyond that at all at this stage.”

“I’ve just really tried to set myself for this series. But my body feels good and I still feel like I’m playing well. I’m definitely thinking of continuing on. I’d love to go to the West Indies.”

The 36-year-old Hussey, one of Australia’s best players this series, is averaging over 80 after scores of 0 and 89 in the first test in Melbourne, and a superb 150 not out in the second test at the SCG as part of an unbeaten 334-run stand with captain Michael Clarke.

Earlier in the series there was strong speculation that both Hussey and former captain Ricky Ponting would be cast aside ahead of the tour of the West Indies as Australian cricket looks to rebuild a team capable of winning back the Ashes of No.1-ranked England next year.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>