Sir Alex Ferguson has denied recent reports linking Manchester United with a move for Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard .
It had been suggested that Ferguson was ready to make a January bid for Lampard, who is currently out of favour with Andre Villas-Boas.
But the United boss said he had no plans to add to his squad in this transfer window – least of all by going for 33-year-old Lampard.
Ferguson said: “What can you do in January?
“Players who are available, and who we like, we can’t get.
“Do you really believe that [Chelsea would sell Lampard to United]?
“There is no foundation to that. Chelsea will not want to do something.
“If they want to win the league, they are going to have to hold on to their best players.
“So what do you do? Take a second-rate player? Of course you don’t.
“I would rather stick with the ones I have got, rather than bringing someone in who ends up not getting a game because they’re not good enough.”
United take on Manchester City in the FA Cup on Sunday and Ferguson said they will start the game as favourites, simply because they are at home.
“You always take a home draw against anyone, so the advantage is City’s in terms of that,” said Ferguson.