Its the second leg of the Carling Cup and we have the starting teams from Old Trafford as David Moyes Manchester Unted welcome Sunderland.
- Sunderland have only won two of their last 25 meetings with Manchester United in all competitions (L18 D5), though both of these victories have come in the League Cup (the first leg of this tie and in 2000-01) .
- The Black Cats have not won at Old Trafford in a major competition since May 1968 (D9 L16).
- Sunderland and Manchester United have both won one of two previous League Cup ties between the sides; the Red Devils won a third round second replay in 1976-77 before the Black Cats won 2-1 in a fourth-round tie in 2000-01.
- Manchester United have won eight of their last nine League Cup semi-final ties, losing only to Chelsea in the 2004-05 season.
- They have scored in all but one of their last 18 League Cup games, scoring a total of 40 goals in those matches.
- The Red Devils have not lost consecutive League Cup games since September 2007.
- Eight of the last nine teams to win the first-leg of a League Cup semi-final 2-1 at home have been eliminated. Manchester United overturned a 2-1 deficit against Manchester City in 2009-10, winning 3-1 in the second leg at Old Trafford.
- They have won the League Cup four times in 1992, 2006, 2009 and 2010.
- They have only scored more than one goal in just five of their 22 league matches this season, but have scored at least two goals in all five of their League Cup ties this season.
- The Black Cats have only managed two wins in their last 10 League Cup games away from home at top flight sides (D2 L6) and are without a clean sheet in 11.
- They were runners-up in 1985, losing 1-0 Norwich.
Manchester United De Gea; Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Buttner; Carrick, Fletcher; Valencia, Kagawa, Januzaj; Welbeck
Sunderland - Mannone, Bardsley, Alonso, Brown, O’Shea (c), Cattermole, Colback, Ki, Johnson, Borini, Fletcher
|Robin Van Persie|
|Josmer Volmy Altidore|