Swansea sign Ki Sung Yueng

Updated: August 22, 2012

Swansea have agreed a fee with Celtic for their South Korean midfielder Ki Sung Yueng, 23, in a possible £6million move to the Liberty Stadium. Celtic manager Neil Lennon described the fee as “good business” and said that “advanced discussions” were under way for the transfer of the South Korea international.

“It will be unfortunate to lose a talented player, but that’s been our strategy at the club now for the last two or three years,” added Lennon.
“We cultivate players then move them on. We feel it’s good business.”

Ki recently starred in South Korea’s Olympic campaign as they beat Japan in the third place play off winning bronze and becoming only the second Asian country to win an Olympic medal.

Johan Mjallby, the Celtic assistant manager said, “He is keen to move on. There have been a few clubs interested in him. He is a quality player, but on the other hand he is keen to move on, so the club needs to do something. He was away at the Olympics for a period of time, but we will be sorry to see him go.”

Lennon was not sure if any of the funds from the potential sale would be made available and Mjallby has stated that he is not convinced that Celtic would need to replace Ki, who made 34 appearances last season.

“He has not really been a part of the season so far so we have shown that we can live without him, but on the other hand it would be nice to get someone else in if he goes away,” added Mjallby. “If quality players leave the club, you want to freshen things up and have competition. But, even with Ki here, we would like to see some other faces.”

Ki originally signed for Celtic in January 2010 for £2.1 million after a three year spell in South Korea with FC Seoul, making his debut in a 1-1 draw with Falkirk. The midfielder has yet to return to Glasgow after he received extra time off following his Olympic campaign.

Swansea will be hoping to have Ki in Wales before resolving Scott Sinclair’s position as Manchester City look to make a move for the former Chelsea trainee. The 23 year old forward has apparently told the Swansea hierarchy that he will not sign a new contract.

Swans first team coach Alan Curtis believes that Sinclair, who made a goal scoring substitute appearance in their 5-0 victory over QPR, will move to City before the transfer window shuts on 31 August.

“He’s not really interested in signing a new contract and I think Man City have made a bid,” Curtis said. “It’s just a matter of time before it happens and it’s good for both parties.”

Sinclair’s current deal runs out at the end of the season and Swansea want to cash in on the winger rather than leave him go for free next summer. During Swansea’s promotion Championship promotion campaign Sinclair netted 19 times, and followed that up with a further eight goals in the Premier League last season.

“He’s been terrific for us, to be fair. We’ve had two seasons out of him and he was superb in the Championship and virtually his goals got us promotion,” Curtis added. Last year as well he wasn’t maybe quite as effective as he was his first year – obviously it was a lot tougher opposition – but he’s been absolutely magnificent.”

“Like Joe Allen, who joined Liverpool, we wish him all the best, but as long as the club keeps pushing forward that’s the main thing. It obviously gives Scott the chance to settle in at his new club and it gives us the opportunity to buy a replacement for Scott.”

Sinclair has enjoyed a promising start to his career at Swansea making 91 appearances and scoring 36 goals and will join fellow young England stars Jack Rodwell, Micah Richards, Adam Johnson and Joe Hart in the Premier League champions’ squad.

William Hill Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>