Mortimer saga deepens

Updated: July 13, 2012

Conor Mortimer has attempted to defuse the tension over his decision to quit the Mayo panel. The Parnells forward sensationally withdrew from the squad on Tuesday night and his decision has caused much controversy in the county ahead of Sunday’s Connacht final against Sligo.

The Shrule/Glencorrib and Parnells player took to twitter this morning to urge supporters to get behind the team as they bid for back to back provincial titles.

Mortimer wrote: “Mayo football is bigger than any player always has and always will be so can people just concentrate on getting behind the team for the game on Sunday. I have even as a player always been a huge supporter and will be again this weekend.”

The situation underwent a dramatic twist last night when the Mortimer family issued a statement to Midwest Radio’s Sports Talkshop criticising Mayo manager James Horan for his treatment of Mortimer and accusing him of undermining his self belief.

His brothers Trevor and Kenneth both enjoyed distinguished careers in the green and red jersey and they are fully supportive of the younger Mortimer’s decision.

“The family feel that Conor wasn’t wanted in the team. He says that every time Conor was dropped James Horan told him he had a new plan, in that he had found two goal-scoring forwards. However, the Mortimer family feel that plan has not materialised. Conor was playing well in A v B games in training of late and two former Mayo managers saw him and can’t understand why he wasn’t picked.”

“He was dropped again from the starting 15 for the Leitrim game because of this plan referred to by the manager. He is currently fourth choice as a corner forward and it has destroyed his confidence. He wasn’t happy with the way football was being played in the Mayo camp.”

The family also hinted at a perceived bias against Shrule/Glencorrib as there are no longer any players from the club on the Mayo panel whereas under John O’Mahony’s management there were four representatives.

Horan and the Mayo County Board had both previously said that the door was open for Mortimer to return to the fold but there appears to be little chance of that happening after the scathing remarks made by his family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>