Drogheda beat Shamrock Rovers to win EA Sports Cup

Updated: September 22, 2012

Shamrock Rovers  1-3  Drogheda United

Drogheda United have won the league cup thanks to an excellent 3-1 triumph over Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium.

Declan “Fabio” O’Brien fired past Oscar Jansson at the near post for the opener and a Kerrea Gilbert own goal from Philip Hand’s corner doubled their lead just before-half-time.

Killian Brennan’s unstoppable free-kick gave Rovers hope in the second half, but Eric Foley made sure of the win with a 25-yard thunderbolt past Jansson.

The home side ended the game with ten men when Conor Powell was red carded.

Rovers came close early on through Stephen Rice whose close range header flew narrowly wide and Killian Brennan who fired straight at Sives when he should have done better inside the box after a quarter of an hour.

Drogheda came more into the game and two minutes later had a good chance of their own.

Foley played the cross from deep but Gavin Brennan’s header couldn’t beat Oscar Jansson.

The home side created the best chance of the half on the 20-minute mark.

McCabe started the move on the right which ended with Ronan Finn with a glorious chance on goal against Sava, but the midfielder chose power instead of placement and Sava made a good save.

United took the lead after 33 minutes following poor defending from the Hoops’ rearguard.

Gavin Brennan’s short corner caught Rovers sleeping and his cross found O’Brien who somehow squeezed the ball past Jansson at the near post from a very tight angle.

Drogheda totally dominated the remainder of the half and their pressure paid off as they doubled their lead two minutes before the break.

Home ‘keeper Jansson spilled Hand’s corner and defender Kerrea Gilbert knocked the ball into his own net.

Gilbert was roundly booed by his own fans for the aftermath and part of the second-half as they vented their frustration.

The away side continued their pressure in the opening minutes of the second period as Foley found O’Brien in the penalty box but he couldn’t get his header on target.

Rovers got back in the game on 58 minutes.  Paul Crowley fouled Gary McCabe on the edge of the penalty area and Killian Brennan smashed an unstoppable dead ball into the top corner of Sava’s net.

Drogs restored their two goal lead just two minutes later however.  Gavin Brennan’s cross was partially cleared to Eric Foley 25-yards out and his strike deflected off Colin Hawkins to fly past the hapless Jansson.

The game ended as a contested when Rovers were reduced to ten men after 72 minutes.  Powell dragged back O’Brien as the striker looked to run through on goal and he was given a straight red card by referee Tom Connolly.

It left director of football Brian Laws knowing he has a huge job on his hands to take his side to the European places this year, while Drogheda celebrated a historic win that added to an excellent campaign so far as they are in pole position to finish in second place in the league.

Shamrock Rovers: Jansson; Gilbert, Sives, Hawkins, Powell; McCabe (Dennehy 60), Finn, Rice, Killian Brennan; Stewart (Daryl Kavanagh 60), Kilduff (Twigg 65).

Drogheda United: Sava; Gannon, Prendergast, McNally, Hand; Ryan Brennan, Gavin Brennan, Crowley, Foley; O’Brien (Seán Brennan 90), Hynes (Mulvenna 89).

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

William Hill Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>