Top GAA officials boycott Queens visit

By
Updated: May 16, 2011

It has been reported that a number of top GAA officials have turned down an invitation to attend the visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Croke Park on Tuesday afternoon.

Today’s Irish Examiner says that a well known Leinster official is among a group of Association figures who have decided to boycott the event at association headquarters. The GAA have said very little publically since the visit was confirmed. Last month, President Christy Cooney contacted the county boards asking them to refrain from commenting.

Croke Park are also concerned about the possibility of undermining President Mary McAleese, who invited the British monarch to Ireland and whose request to make the stadium available they accepted. A number of high profile figures within the organisation are uncomfortable about Queen Elizabeth II being at Croke Park this week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>