Liverpool Chief saying “No” to big signings

Updated: March 2, 2012

After last year’s spending blitz – when Liverpool FC brought in £120million worth of new talent and broke the British transfer record (buying Andy Carroll) – Liverpool’s director of football Damien Comolli said he is not expecting many major signings when the transfer window reopens at the end of the season.

Click to have 20e on Man Utd to beat Tottenham @ 3/1, they are 6/4 best price and as an added bonus receive a 40e free bet

“It is early days. We will probably make some adjustments in the summer but nothing like what we’ve done before,” he said. “We signed nine players since Kenny came back so there will be a few adjustments but nothing massive. We have done the hard work and now it is a question of making some adjustments in certain positions,” – he added.

The French man said that the visit of Arsenal this weekend is “massive” if the club are to retain hopes of finishing in the top four this season. The Gunners’ stunning 5-2 win over Tottenham last weekend, having been 2-0 down, meant Arsene Wenger’s side are currently in pole position for the final Champions League qualification spot.

Liverpool are seven points adrift of the Gunners (who are themselves only ahead of Chelsea on goal difference in the race for the final Champions League spot). Liverpool do however have a game in hand on both London clubs and a win this weekend would put them right back in the hunt for a top four finish. Defeat – and a 10 point deficit to the top four – would be too much to overturn at this stage of the season.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>