Harry Findlay to quit racing

By
Updated: February 14, 2011

Harry Findlay has announced that he will cut all ties with racing in April after he sells off the rest of the horses he owns.

Findlay, whose most notable success in the sport came with Denman’s victory in the 2008 Cheltenham Gold Cup, had previously cut back dramatically on his equine interests when the jumpers he owned in partnership with Paul Barber were sold in August.

On Sunday, however, Findlay said he was totally cutting his ties with the sport, with the horses he has remaining running under the name of hismother, Margaret, due to be sold off at the Doncaster Bloodstock Sales Horses In Training auction.

Findlay said: “My mother and I have both decided that our position as owners in this country has now become absolutely untenable.

“They will all come under the hammer at the Doncaster sales on April 21 and, in all likelihood, our last ever runner will be Big Fella Thanks in the Grand National.”

Findlay, who was warned off for six months by the BHA in June last year , had said at the time he would not have horses run in his family’s colours again as long as BHA chairman Paul Roy and chief executive Nic Coward were “at the top table in racing”.

When that ban was overturned the following month on appeal and instead replaced with a £4,500 fine, Findlay was soon back on the racecourse, as well as in the sales ring, buying five yearlings at the DBS Premier Yearling Sales, three in partnership with the Sangster family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>