Irish Boxer Challenges IABA in High Court

By
Updated: August 18, 2011

One of Ireland’s leading Youth boxing hopes for next week’s European Championships at Citywest Conference Centre has brought a High Court action against the I.A.B.A , following a decision to drop him from the Irish youth boxing team .The “Irish Examiner” reports that Michael O’Reilly obtained permission , in the High Court, to bring proceedings aimed at securing an injunction preventing the Irish Amateur Boxing Association from deselecting him from the Irish team due to take part in the European Youth Championships

Permission to bring the proceedings was granted by Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne who made the matter returnable before the Court tomorrow morning.

In an ex-parte (one side only) application to the court, lawyers for the boxer, who boxes for the Portlaoise Club in Co Laois, said that earlier this month the boxer had been taking part at a training camp in the National Stadium.

On August 5 th, Mr O’Reilly’s vehicle was damaged in an underground car park.

According to “Irish Examiner” , Mr O’Reilly wanted to have his vehicle repaired, and he claims he rang a coach to see if he could be excused from the camp and go and have the works carried out. Mr O’Reilly, who has won underage national titles and has previously represented Ireland at international youth events, claims he was told by a coach that it this was ok.

Mr O’Reilly claims that arising out of his non-attendance at training he was deselected from the Irish team. The court also heard that in correspondence with the IABA the association has disputed Mr O’Reilly’s account of what happened that day.

In his action it is understood that the boxer claims he was not afforded natural justice by the IABA because he was deselected before the IABA commenced its own disciplinary procedures.

Today’s news is yet another blow for the IABA who have faced considerable criticism from many quarters, but particularly from some of Ireland’s top amateurs and their coaches , for their handling of the Irish team selection for the forthcoming World Championships in Baku,Azerbaijan. Injured boxers were led to believe that unless they took part in a “box off” at the National Stadium it was likely that their places in the team would go to those who won last week’s tournament. This issue remains unresolved albeit the team is due to leave this week for a training camp in Italy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>