Mayo player out for the season

By
Updated: February 15, 2011

Mayo’s Conor Mortimer has acknowledged that he’s resigned to missing the entire 2011 season after undergoing major knee surgery in Dublin last Friday.

Dr Ray Moran performed an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction procedure on Mortimer, and told the player that he could be facing a nine-month lay-off.

Mortimer injured his left knee playing U-21 football for Mayo in a Connacht championship tie against Sligo in 2004, but the full extent of the injury was not revealed until 2008.

Mortimer had been playing without a cruciate ligament in his left knee for the last seven seasons but recent flare-ups left him with no option but to have the surgery.

Mortimer said: “The recovery period is anything from five to nine months. I’ll be looking to get back for the Mayo club championship, that’s my priority at the moment. If Mayo get as far as the All-Ireland quarter-finals, there’s a chance, but I wouldn’t be 100pc positive about being ready for that. The main thing is that the knee will be 100pc for the first time in seven years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>